Driving in snowy and icy conditions can be very challenging and can lead to accidents.
Due to our current weather forecast this week for the UK of bitterly cold temperatures and amber warning signs for snow and ice, we would like to share with you our top tips for driving in these conditions to help keep you safe and prevent accidents.
Things To Consider Before Setting Off
- Make sure you have good vision before setting off, clear your windscreen, windows and snow from the roof of your car.
- Check your wipers are working, don’t leave them on Auto setting as this may blow the fuse if the windscreen wipers cant move correctly and check your screen wash is topped up.
- Check your tyres for adequate tread depth, if you live where snowy conditions are quite common it may be a good idea to have snow tyres fitted during the winter.
- Make sure your mobile phone has plenty of charge.
- Plan your journey, consider areas where the driving conditions may be more severe and try to avoid these areas.
- Allow for more travelling time to reach your destination.
- Ensure you have extra warm clothing / adequate foot wear and drinks/snacks should the worst happen.
Things To Consider While Driving
- Drive Slowly.
- Accelerate and Decellerate slowly using low revs.
- Keep a good stopping distance between you and the vehicle in front.
- Apply brakes gently.
- Going down hill, go down in a low gear, try to avoid braking.
- Going up hill , go up at a constant speed, try to avoid stopping or changing gear.
Sheffield Van Hire would like to wish everyone a safe journey
Should you need any assistance with checking your vehicle is safe and road worthy, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Tel: 0114 244 1814